Anglican Mission, Tekenika Bay, Hoste
Island, Tierra del Fuego
Pre-fabricated building ("The Stirling House"), 1898
This house has a long history, being
the oldest-surviving building in Tierra del Fuego. Brought pre-fabricated
from Britain, it was first assembled in 1869 at Ushuaia by the
missionary Stirling. It was subsequently dismantled and reassembled
several times, as the mission moved its centre of operations.
Although abandoned in 1916, the house still stands at Río
Douglas, on Navarino Island (see modern photograph).
In the photo, the missionaries Mr. and Mrs. Pringle are standing
in the doorway. Cultural details, such as the curtained windows
and potted plants, contrast starkly with the traditional indigenous dwellings. For more images of
this mission, see the Tekenika Album.